After I added the windmill, I looked at the stitching and notice that my straight stitch was more of a zig-zag stitch. I played with all the settings on my machine and came to the realization that it was time to take the machine in for a tune-up. Of course, this was a hard realization for me since I was starting a free motion project and am still working on the t-shirt quilt.
I took machine in on Saturday morning as soon as they opened and I was told that it will take about 2 weeks to get my machine back. TWO WEEKS!? What!? But I have a quilt to work on and I can't free motion by hand! I've accepted the fact that all projects are on hold at the moment...except the windmill.
What did I do about the windmill? Well, I reevaluated the situation, went home, and pulled the stitching. I guess it was a blessing in disguise because I found that it was a perfect opportunity to advance my hand embroidery skills. The only embroidery stitching I knew how to sew was a blanket stitch. A blanket stitch is commonly used to reinforce the edges of thick materials, i.e. a blanket. After researching the internet and encouragement from my mom, I embroidered the windmill instead. I am much happier with the final windmill.
I originally had dark brown ground/grass to contrast with the sunset, but after the windmill came out so dark, I had to change the ground/grass to black.
Here is the final product. I'm incredibly happy with how it turned out. I am in love with the sky!