Monday, August 1, 2011

Batiked Baby Counting Book

I have been very busy this past weekend. I kept working on the custom scrap quilt and completed a unique batik project. 


Here is one of the new quilt blocks:




My new batik project was inspired by the counting book that I had made previously. 



Here is the cover. I just wrote it in my own handwriting.


What makes this book extra cool is that all the pictures are dyed into the fabric! (The sun is my favorite page!)


When dying the pages I decided to leave the leaves without veins so I could sew the veins on later. Super cool! 



This project was VERY time consuming, but WOW! The results were totally worth all the work. I know what you're thinking, "That's so cool! I want one for my child/friend's child/niece/nephew, etc." Well guess what!? You're in luck! It is for sale at my Etsy shop! You can find my shop HERE or on the right side of my blog. I'm also totally open to doing custom orders because I had so much fun doing this book. 

I also learned a ton about batiking and painting dye onto the fabric when making this book. Two words: sodium alginate. This is a dye thickener which means the painted dye doesn't run all over your project. The only drawback with using it is that it takes a couple hours for the dye to thicken. So you can't just wake up and say "I'm going to start painting dye right now." Nope. You have to have some patience (which is quite a challenge for me), but thick dye makes your life easy and the results are worth it.

Off to JoAnn Fabrics to buy quilt fabric and various doodads for projects I have running around in my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment