Sunday, February 26, 2012

Wedding Flowers

We got our wedding photos from our photographer last week and they turned out beautifully! I'm super excited to have lots of photos of the flowers I made! For those of you who don't remember, I made all the flowers for our wedding. As I researched the cost of wedding flowers I was floored at how ridiculous they cost. So I thought and got on Google and decided that I just needed to make the flowers. It really wouldn't be like me to have cut flowers anyways. I made my bouquet, 2 bridesmaids bouquets, wrist corsages and boutonnieres. After much trial and error I'm more than happy with the result of making them. 


Anyone who is on the fence about making their own flowers, I highly recommend it. They not only will be easily preservable, but they are really unique and a great conversation piece. Major sewing skills aren't necessary. Anyone with an ounce of creativity (or a creative friend) can make their own flowers. However if you are planning on taking on this project I have a few suggestions:

  1. Get on Google and look at lots of photos of flowers to see what you want to imitate. I settled with white and ivory flowers because it worked with our wedding colors (navy, white and silver). 
  2. Be prepared for trial and error. Just because you found 6 great flower tutorials online doesn't mean that when you combine those flowers together in a bouquet they are going to look good. 
  3. Don't be afraid of fabric! I hate working with satin fabrics and organza. They fray and slip when you try to cut them, but I sucked it up and in the end they really brought great textures to my bouquet. If you want to make a bouquet with color definitely experiment with different fabrics until you find something you love. 
  4. Learn to love your zippo lighter. I don't know how long I spent burning the edges of fabric to give them the appearance of petals! 
  5. When you are ready to put all your flowers together in a bouquet, get back on Google and look at how bouquets are wrapped. I looked at lots of floral sites until I decided on what I wanted to do. 
  6. If you are doing bouquets, corsages and boutonnieres, don't kill yourself. I won't lie. It's a lot of work. However, make some easy flowers! The wrist corsages were super easy and a breeze to make! My tutorial for the boutonnieres can be found here

All wedding photos by Kelly Miranda Photography








No comments:

Post a Comment